Dealing With Family Issues Can Be Complicated Allow a Legal Advocate to Reduce Your Stress REACH OUT FOR HELP TODAY

Child Support Attorney in Mequon, Wisconsin

What Does the Court Consider in a Child Support Case?

Wisconsin has specific child support guidelines that determine the amount of child support a parent is required to pay. The amount may depend on:

  • Your wage or salary

  • Your earnings from investments and other assets

  • Your work experiences

  • Your health and education

At least one parent is also required to have health insurance in Wisconsin. Contact Fraker Law Firm, S.C. now to work with an experienced child support attorney in Mequon, WI.

Put Experience On Your Side

Ensuring Financial Stability for The Children

As a parent, it is your responsibility to make sure your children are provided for while they are still minors. Wisconsin has guidelines governing child support and with an experienced attorney at your side, you'll be able to secure the support that your children not only need but also deserve.

Divorce Does Not Absolve You of Parental Responsibilities

When it comes to determining the amount of child support the non-custodial parent will be responsible for paying, the courts will look at your financial situation and run it through formulas based on your child placement plan, for example:

  • Primary placement: A non-primary placement parent pays a percentage of his or her gross income, with the percentage varying depending on the number of children involved.

  • Shared placement: The courts use a more complex formula, including looking at the incomes of both parents, to determine an appropriate amount based on your specific placement plan.

The state regulations typically are applied strictly, but if a change in finances occurs, a party may return to the courts and request a change to the support agreement.

Your Child's College Tuition

Child support is payable until a child turns 18 years of age, or if still in high school at that point, either turns 19 or completes high school, whichever comes first. There is no obligation to make college payments.

However, if both parents want college to be considered in the plan, they can reach an agreement and bring it before the court for approval. Once this plan is approved by the court, the court has the power to enforce the terms if either parent should fail to honor his/her part of the agreement.